Communiqué issued at the end of the 123rd Meeting of the Joint Tax Board held from 29th November to 1st December, 2010 at the Conference Hall, Muna Hotels, Yola, Adamawa State.
The Joint Tax Board held its 123rd Meeting from 29th November to 1st December, 2010 at Muna Hotels, Yola, Adamawa State, with the theme: Imperative of Automation in Tax Administration. The Board deliberated on various issues and reached the following major decisions:-
1. The Board reiterated the need for Revenue Authorities to, as a matter of urgency, modernize their system of tax administration;
2. The Board urged the State Governments to demonstrate support for the Unique Taxpayer Identification Number (UTIN) project by paying up their counterpart funds before 31st December, 2010 as earlier directed by the National Economic Council;
3. The Board re-emphasized the need to abide by the statutory provisions in Tax Laws in Nigeria and called on all tiers of Government to abide strictly by their provisions, particularly the provisions of the Taxes and Levies (Approved List of Collection) Act of CAP T2 LFN 2004 and the Personal Income Tax Act (PITA) CAP 8 LFN 2004;
4. The Board noted the progress made on the amendment of the Personal Income Tax Act and other Tax Bills and urged the National Assembly to expedite action on the passage of the outstanding Bills;
5. The Board reiterated its condemnation of all incidences of Multiple Taxation in Nigeria and urged all tiers of Government to take steps towards its eradication;
6. The Board also reiterated the need for all tiers of Government to communicate the judicious use of taxpayers’ monies to the public and lay emphasis on projects that have direct impact on the lives of the citizens;
7. The Board stressed the importance of collaboration and information sharing among stakeholders for improved tax compliance in Nigeria;
8. The Board approved the organisation of an International Tax Conference in 2011 to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of the Joint Tax Board.
Ifueko Omoigui Okauru M. L. Abubakar