The militant group, which blew up a crude oil pipeline belonging to Chevron Nigeria Limited, CNL, in the early hours today, tweeted: “This is to inform the general public that we are not negotiating with any Committee. If Federal Government is discussing with any group they’re doing that on their own”
It said on its twitter handle: “At 1:00am today, the @NDAvengers blow up Well RMP 20 belonging to Chevron located 20 meters away from Dibi flow Station in Warri North local government area.”
A source told Vanguard that the affected crude oil pipeline is between Opia and Dagbolo villages in Warri North.
The attack is in spite of the declaration of a two-week ceasefire 48 hours earlier by the Federal Government to create a window for dialogue with militants. Confirming the attack, a security source said: “Yes, there was an attack this morning by militants on a Chevron facility.”
“The pipeline had earlier been attacked by militants using the same modus operandi which is with the use of dynamite. “The attack was carried out at about 3am this morning,” he added.
According to the staff of Chevron Nig. Ltd. who spoke on condition of anonymity, the company would draft a team of technicians to the spot to assess the extent of damage.
Acting President, Prof Professor Yemi Osinbajo; governors of oil producing states; service chiefs; Minister of Defence, Dan Ali; Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu; Special Adviser to the President on Amnesty Programme, Gen. Paul Boroh, among others, met, Tuesday in Abuja and resolved on a stand-down of military action in the zone. Governors in attendance at the meeting included Nyesom Wike (Rivers); Adams Oshiomhole (Edo); Ifeanyi Okowa (Delta); Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo); Seriake Dickson (Bayelsa), and Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia). The Service chiefs were Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin; Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai, and Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas.